Grimstod has shot some nice groups, in his even nicer looking rifle. (chambered in 54r Improved .308)
Heres some of his loads.
W760 Berger 190gr VLD, CCI 200 primers, 28" barrel.
54gr = 2730fps A very accurate load (see right target/100yd).
55.2gr = 2820fps (see 300yd target)
55.5gr = 2830fps
I finally picked up some IMR4166 to try out. When I try a new powder, you'll notice the velocities are always low.
Thats so theres no surprises.
IMR4166, 174gr Sierra Matchking
1. 47gr. 2628fps
2. 48gr. 2695
3. 49gr. 2752
Vit N-540, 174gr Sierra Matchking
1. 53gr. 2950fps
2. 53.5gr 2964
3.55.5gr 3073 (4shot avg)
I believe I have found max for this combination in my rifle, considering the 5 times this brass has been loaded fairly hot.
Notice the INSANE primer pucker on the middle case. That is why im using Mag primers. To take advantage of the
extra thick cup material. (Yup, i know... I need to bush my firing pin)
Vit N-540, 182gr. PPU Bullets, Mag Primers
1. 52gr. 2714fps
2. 53gr. 2836
3. 54gr. 2838
4. 55gr. 2907
5. 56gr. 2916
6. 57gr. 2941 (primer came loose and fell out of spent case)
This powder may have a bad reputation..... depending on who you ask.
So I asked the interwebs. After MUCH studying, I went a head and determined my loads.
From what ive read, this powder was designed to yield little or no muzzle flash (for combat purposes).
Apprently this might contribute to its odd temperament. o.0
Control Round: Factory PPU loaded 150gr Ammunition.
Loaded 54r Improved (.311)
IMR7383, 182gr PPU Match Bullets,
(fps = avg of 3 shots)
1. 46gr, 2351fps
2. 47gr. 2360fps
3. 48gr. 2427fps
4. 49gr. 2472fps
5. 50gr. 2511fps
6. 51gr. 2547fps
This powder was VERY consistent. The standard deviation of 6 rounds loaded with 51gr was 21.1.
While this powder is too slow, and too large in size, to get the typically desired 2900-3000fps from this case,
I believe if one wanted to utilize a lighter bullet (perhaps 150gr), this could be a VERY accurate and dependable load.
Well, by this point ive made and added a bull barrel to the equation. So now using a crisp clean .311 bore 23.7" long.
Was able to get to the range real quick after work. It wasnt as productive as I wanted. It took me forever to get setup, because it was so muddy everywhere. So the shadows eventually got to long and the Chrony started going whacko!
Control rounds: PPU 150gr SP factory loaded ammo, 1. 2900fps 2. 2863fps
54r Improved (.311)
W760, 182gr PPU Match bullets, mag primers:
1. 53gr 2613fps
2. 54gr 2604
3. 55gr 2681
4. 55.5gr 2804
5. 56gr 2816
54r Improved (.311)
N540, 182gr PPU Match Bullets, mag primers:
1. 46gr 2509fps
2. 47gr 2524
3. 51gr 2705
4. 51gr 2826 So, looks like i'll keep going up on my loads.
The sun started to go down, so I had to discard some of my N540 chrono readings.
When I started this whole ordeal, I rechambered a stock 91/30 with the 54r Improved.
And ofcourse, not knowing how this was going to play out, I was hesitant to use a good barrel. So I used my worst one.
In hind sight (duh), the loose bore made for some low peformers. But I got some brass formed properly atleast.
54r Improved preliminary load data/range results 9/2013
.311 174gr Sierra Matchking/std primers/no crimp
56gr = 2704
Using a shot out .314bore 91/30
Accurate Arms 4350
Using shot out .314bore 91/30